Wednesday, April 21, 2010

On a plane trip

Today was a pretty calm day, I only had 7 children. At this point when they started building the airplane there were only 5. Olivia was in charge. She set it up, directed everyone where to sit, and was in charge of getting them there safely. When I asked "Where are you going?" She bolted out "ALABAMA! We are going to see Daddy Hall. I am going to show everyone pictures in a minute so they know who we are seeing. Everybody sit down, here we go!" Notice she filled all the empty seats with animals and babies.
Armaan is making sure the squirrel is okay and Loralei is holding on tight to baby. There was alot of play and imagination that went on here. Not to mention the amazing negotiation skills that Olivia has. Some of the kids would get tired of sitting there, but Olivia made sure she inticed them with something new and exciting. When Dylan and Lexi got there, they were very excited to go flying and they uped the anti a bit by getting dressed up. So then everyone was getting dressed and undressed and dressed again for the plane ride to Atlanta. Then the play took a dramatic turn..........
They crashed. The crashed hard and everyone was dead...and alive, and dead, and alive, and dead. I love how Dylan placed the chair on top of himself. They played crash for a while and eventually moved to something different. They were in this airplane mode for a few hours. It was great. I loved listening to the stories they made up and acted out. I didn't really involve myself too much unless someone was going to get hurt, I just let them be. All this role playing is great for them to try things out in 'pretend' that they might not be able to try out in real life. It gives them different senareos to try out...see what works, see what doesn't work. It is also very important for them to act out death, pretend someone is hurt...or dead...so that when real sitiations come up they might have better skills to deal with it.
I loved our morning! So did the kids. :)



5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post about amazing play. I love it when our preschoolers make trains and buses from chairs. I could sit and listen to them for hours!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is some crash site! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Your class is splendid! Your hands on is awesome. I love when my crew get their ironing board and cash register out. It is so funny because the others will automatically get a toy and line up..like they are at a store. This goes on for a while....imaginations are wonderful:)

Annie's Alphabet said...

I know...some crash right? I wonder what they were watching to know so much about a plane crash....

The Honorable Mention said...

LOL. This is a universal play theme isn't it? I can't tell you have many pictures I have of children with chairs like this.
Love it. You have captured it so beautifully, though.
I have seen over time the play gets more intricate and detailed-
TV? What TV?
Great post!